Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Day 8

       It's been a great day! Today we got up early and went to a church in the red light district of Manila. I shared my testimony, didn't feel like i ddi a great job sharing. It was a challenge to share without a translator, so i tried to use simpler words. I'm pretty sure i stuttered and stumbled on my words so hopefully they still got fed spiritually. Erika, our team singer she's got a wonderful voice. She sang amazing grace wile Tim played Guitar. Tim then preached a wonderful message. Enjoyed my time at the church I believe it was an assembly of God church.
   Ate lunch at Jollibee it's bigger then McDonalds over here, tasted pretty good. I like American fries better though. After Erika went to visit her family and Tito June went to visit his so I tagged along in order to hit up the largest and most dangerous market in all of Asia. Its like a giant flea market the size of a city. It was crazy if anyone of you ever come i recommend going but take a local you trust. Lots of snatchers and easy to bargain if you have a local. For instance nice shoes are less then 10 dollars sandals maybe 5 dollars. Samurai swords 10 dollars butterfly knifes like 3. Jewelry is bought for like a dollar and they come in bulk so cheap. Had a lot of time I mainly bartered more for fun the prices were already so much cheaper. in the Philippines the stands anywhere near Manilla gets there products from Divisoria market. I bought a samurai sword, butterfly knife, foot long knife, sandals, crazy high top kicks, tons of necklaces and bracelets, arm bands, and a swimsuit. Lots of fun also tried out a pedicab thats a bike that has a side car for 2 passengers.
           Oggie an old friend from when my family lived on campus at Michigan State , when I was 18 months old, came to take me out to dinner. His niece Julla joined us as well. They picked me up from the guest house and took me out to the College Oggie teaches at, UP University of the Philippines. Its the best school in the Philippines, we got dinner and desert on campus. The campus was very large and looked great! Dinner was wonderful, as well as the conversations. Got to hear stories from when I was a toddler. Asked alot about their lifestyle and culture as well.
           Week one and our 2 day break is now over but so far m time here has been wonderful. I already miss PBJ with Mark. VBS program starts tomorrow wake up in 5 hours then head out to the province of Bulacan to run VBS for the week. Pray for strength for the team. As well as sleep! Some of the team has been really suffering from a lack of sleep. I most likely will not have internet out there we are going to roughing it not like I did in the community last thursday but we will be living very simply. I might go use an internet cafe once while I'm there manly more for fun :)

-JR

No comments:

Post a Comment